Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Bread, Sawdust, and....



Chickens??? Tractors? The truth is I haven't been making much sawdust lately. In fact, business has been slow for the last year and a half. Oh, I'm still in the cabinet business, but until the economy turns the corner, I've had to diversify. It's called making do. In reality it is what bi-vocational ministry is all about. Sure, I enjoy cabinetmaking, and it has provided well for us over the last 13 years or so, but its not my career. I was pastor of a small church, with a pile of student loans, when I graduated from Seminary. The four hundred dollars I received each month from the church, would just cover my loan payments. I had to find a job or leave the assignment.
Providentially, a good friend, who was a cabinetmaker offered me a job, as his helper. I didn't have any woodworking experience outside of "Industrial Arts class in Jr. High, but the job worked out well, and apparently, I had a knack for it. In a couple years I was working for myself, building custom cabinets, but more importantly I was providing for my family while I served the church. Cabinetmaking has made it possible for me to serve God in churches that cannot afford a full-time paid pastor. (For the man willing to do it, there is no shortage of small churches that need a shepherd.)

So this is me adjusting to a new economy: building cabinets, giving piano lessons, gardening, raising chickens for meat and eggs, and whatever else it takes, to provide for my family, and serve the dear people of my parish.

No comments: