Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Finding the Bread


Bread and Sawdust is about life. In everyones life, there is much that we might consider sawdust- wasted material. Yet sawdust is the necessary by product of something of worth and value- creativity. I should know. I spend most of my days standing in it, creating it, (sometimes by the wheel barrow full) all in the process of building something of value that will enrich some ones life.
I could spend my time ruminating over all the wood that is wasted, or I can look beyond the accumulation of dust, and see the end, the goal. Understanding this connection is an important part of our lives. We all must learn to see the goal, the end, the purpose for all the dust we are making.
As a bi-vocational minister it is easy for me to get bogged down in the dust of life. My calling, my true vocation seems to be supplanted at times, by the business of making cabinets. Nevertheless, I remind myself that it is cabinetmaking, that makes possible the missionary effort, much like the Apostle Paul and his tent making. I am reminded how much cabinet making brings to the ministry. Not only does it provide an adequate living for me and my family, but it provides time for thought, prayer and service. It gives me an avenue for meeting people, blessing them, and honoring God with the work of my hands. While it was never in my plans, when I was in college or seminary to be a carpenter, it has become a valuable part of who I am, and who I am becoming. This is the bread, this is the product for which all the dust is only a by product. I take heart and encouragement knowing that the Great High Priest himself, was also a carpenter.

No comments: